Hearing Protection Act

United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Office of Noise Abatement and Control (ONAC), Noise Ordinances, Activism, Lobbying, Advocacy, Testimony, Rights, Enforcement.
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:31 pm
There is some proposed legislation that would make it easier for gun owners to obtain silencers for their guns. I am hopeful that this bill will be passed and am asking for support from this organization.

I am not a gun owner and I never will be. I do, however, live about 2 miles away from an outdoor gun range and am constantly bothered with the sound of gunfire. While the guns are disturbing the peace of over 1,500 homes in the area, the shooters (who are largely law enforcement) are forced to use ear protection to protect their hearing.

Is that crazy?

I am hoping that members of this group will consider writing their congressman and asking them to support this bill. It is titled the "Hearing Protection Act".
Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:00 pm
I think the fundamental issue is the outdoor gun range itself. For example, they can hire an acoustics consultant who can recommend the installation of walled barriers around the firing area to mitigate the echoing sounds of gunfire.

The problem is getting them to do this. If you and the neighbors organize (and share legal expenses) by filing a civil lawsuit that the defendant is causing a public nuisance. The judge can order a temporary stop allowing for both parties to negotiate a solution to mitigate or abate the noise.

Please see: http://www.noiseoff.org/legal.php
Tue May 16, 2017 7:32 am
Do you seriously think this would reduce gun range noise that much?

I find the title of this bill to be ridiculous.