Sound vs. Noise

Problems & Solutions, Advocacy, Community Activism, Legislation, Enforcement, News Reports, Published Articles, Research Studies, Academia.

Sound vs. Noise

Postby Fred Plotkin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:29 am

Fred Plotkin

Re: Sound vs. Noise

Postby digitaldanny » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:47 pm

I liked the article Fred. Some retailers and restaurants use sound to draw certain customers in and draw others out. For example, Abercrombie & Fitch blast music in their stores on the idea that a certain segment of their customers want it, never mind that the loud music is a burden on their own store employees. Chipolte uses a system that raises and lowers the sound levels of the music based on the amount of ambient sound in the restaurant so that the music is always heard over everything else. Movie theaters often blast the sound levels of movie trailers. I vote with my wallet, which is to say, I have walked out of noisy restaurants and I do not patronize other businesses that are inconsiderate.
digitaldanny

Postby Larry » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:36 am

Don't be too shy, David. Ask the management to turn the music down, or better yet, turn it off. If he doesn't , complain it about and walk out. I am shy too and occasionally do just that.

Here is a tip: I have found that this sometimes gets results. Tell the management of the noisy restaurant ( presumably due to so called "background" music) that you like the food and would like to patronize his restaurant, but instead, have been patronizing (spending money) at another restaurant in town that does not play music. Tell him that restaurant has a competitive edge over his. It's quieter and more relaxing without the unnecessary and annoying music.
Larry

Postby ScaryBikerDude » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:42 am

The faster the customers eat, the faster there's a new seat available. Many restaurants have a standard set "table time" that they want each customer to spend in the restaurant. You may vote with your wallet, but many, many more would need to join you. Even a 10 minute reduction in time spent per customer at a restaurant can make them oodles more cash.

These tactics are intentional, and meant to help keep customers moving in, eating, and moving out. All this "enjoy the ambiance" stuff is great, as long as it doesn't get in the way of getting more customers per hour. I used to work at a Red Robin, and though the food was amazing, especially for the price (I can taste it in my mind as I write this), they were one of the worst offenders in the sound department, even in the kitchens.
ScaryBikerDude

Return to Noise Pollution