Heavy Bass Victims

Problems & Solutions, Community Activism, News Reports, Published Articles, Research Studies, Academia.
Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:31 am
After reading James Kaufmans article Heavy Bass Victims You Are Not Alone, http://www.noiseoff.org/media/bass.victims.not.alone.pdf
I now have a better understanding of why so many of us are affected by the heavy bass while others either enjoy it or are not bothered by it.

Thanks to this so-called pass time those who have been exposed to this unwanted low frequency are known as "Heavy Bass Victims" and low frequency noise sufferers" and have an extremely difficult time coping with everyday low frequency sound, such as jet blast from aircraft, trains, trucks, washing machines, air conditioner and other necessary forms of transportation and commerce. It is unknown at this time just how many suffer from this condition, however based on the evidence and complaints it is suspected in the United States the numbers are perhaps in the millions! Not all have been diagnosed and not all are complaining some are suffering silently and are yet to be discovered. My wife and I are living in a heavy bass neighborhood and we have a air condition unit next door that vibrates and sounds like a boom car going at 2:30 am, it's making it impossible to get a good nights rest, just like the boomcars do! We did contact the owner and he assured us that he would have the unit looked at the by latest last week, but so far it hasn't been fixed and the welfare family that lives in the house could care less since the have a boomcar themselves, they probably enjoy the thumping!

With respect to what some now refer to as Sonic Assault Vehicles or S.A.V.s these vehicles can be compared to like a "mobile version of graffiti", arrogant drivers with super-amplified sub woofer car stereos increasingly thump our neighborhoods with their unwanted "music". Often heard from blocks away, these low-frequency bass-beats disturb local lives. Most automobiles are equipped with a speedometer and some have a "governor" or "limter" those who do not and can not be expected to prevent the driver from speeding and driving recklessly except law enforcement, the same applies to these sub woofer bass systems in vehicles, except they do not have a "limiter" and there is nothing preventing the driver from cranking it up and endangering themselves and those around them execept law enforcement and unfortunately as many who have been victimized by this assault know that is not the same priority as reckeless driving. If investigated you will find that there is a strong correlation nationwide between the thumping deep heavy bass and speeding and reckless driving including accidents and yet the N.T.S.B. has done nothing about this! According to Ted Reuter of Noise Free America, the N.T.S.B. has been contacted on this serious issue and ignored his pleas.

Public health and safety is put at great risk. Residents on arterial streets suffer this merciless noise pollution every few minutes at all hours. It’s common to hear and feel thumping all night long from over half a mile.

To quote one heavy bass victim in Arizona,
"Bass is hard to capture on record; & local law enforcement has little recourse (often will simply not respond). This is not a victimless crime. It is a direct assault on the foundation of our homes (literally). You cant escape (it falsely imprisons you with no choice). Home is no longer a place of peace. It is war zone; without weapons to fight. As typical of war, the opponent does not share our views. They most often know what they do; and, do it with intent to disrupt, disturb, & assault. It will take a large (& strong) Mass to stop it. Until the Mass is large enough to win the war; individuals will continue to lose the battles. One of Many, Tea"

This nightmare is just going to get worse unless we are willing to get the U.S. Govt to understand that this is a very serious issue and needs to be regulated at the federal level. Please read these petition signatures and sign if you agree! http://loud.vze.com
Thanks
Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:26 am
Thank you, Noiseless, for bringing this article to my attention. :o

I think that I am a 'victim' as described and it is a great feeling to find
there are others, as there don't seem to be very many in my experience
who react to the low volume bass as I do.
I've always felt that the noise meant 'danger' and react to it by feeling
tightness in my chest, stress, anxiety, etc. I think it is affecting my
health.
Then, I too, wonder that if the machines are being run by a human,
is that human a threat, can I talk with them, etc.

Your writing is really very well expressed. Thanks for taking the time.
I'm glad I found this site. You have really had a positive impact on my
feeling of well-being.

:D
Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:15 pm
Like Leo N, i too have extreme physical (and mental) discomfort and pain from the basses assault.
Every one is entitled to listen to whatever one's taste in music is, but NOT to impose it on others, especially when there seems to be nothing to be done for effective shielding against it.
Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:46 am
I've been a heavy bass victim for almost five years now. This post described to a T what it's like for me. I have gone driving and walking at night to find where this thumping comes from. I'm wondering if my ears weren't damaged when I was stuck in traffic for 30 minutes next to a boomer car that was so loud that it was out and out physical torture. I had a terrible headache from it. It seems like after that I was very suseptible to low frequency noises. Before that I don't remember being so sesitive to the sounds of my dishwasher or heater, when my water heater is heating up it makes a rumbling sound that bothers me.

I'm waiting and hoping that someone will invent an ear plug that will help with the low frequency sounds. When the boomers get unbearable I have to bite the bullet and wear ear plugs which I don't like doing because, everyone has to shout to be heard.
Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a victim of HEAVY BASS VICTIM every single day since I have been living in Tampa Florida 2002. Also when I moved into a home from an appt, I decided to live in a subdivision thinking that people woud follow the rules but they do not.
I live near Sarasota and St Petersburg where it is against the law for people to play loud music in their cars. How can I make it illegal for where I live. I live in Gibsonton which is a small town near Tampa but it should be illegal everywhere.

I live in a subdivision and complained many times to the HOA about the same individual and nothing is being done about it. I moved to a subdivision and pay the quarterly fees on time thinking that people would follow the rules but they don't and the HOA do not enforce it.

I have that individual taped on my video camera which the police is not interrested in looking because they told me they have to personally catch him which is hard because by the time they would responde to my call, the individual would be done playing his music.

It is written in the paper work we all signed when we moved in about the loud noise. Also people do the fireworks also which is not allowed because of the noise level. My ears are sensitive to noise and my cats are petrafied of the noise so much that they hide under the bed and are shaking.
I wish people would have respect for others. I do not wish to listen to their music. It looks like those people are lacking attention and they have to attract attention that way.
What will it take for whoever to make it illegal everywhere especially living in a HOA where we pay. Who do I turn to to make it illegal or for the HOA to do their job instead of accumulating the money for them to do anything about it.
Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:37 pm
francecb wrote:
I am a victim of HEAVY BASS VICTIM every single day since I have been living in Tampa Florida 2002. Also when I moved into a home from an appt, I decided to live in a subdivision thinking that people woud follow the rules but they do not.
I live near Sarasota and St Petersburg where it is against the law for people to play loud music in their cars. How can I make it illegal for where I live. I live in Gibsonton which is a small town near Tampa but it should be illegal everywhere.

I live in a subdivision and complained many times to the HOA about the same individual and nothing is being done about it. I moved to a subdivision and pay the quarterly fees on time thinking that people would follow the rules but they don't and the HOA do not enforce it.

I have that individual taped on my video camera which the police is not interrested in looking because they told me they have to personally catch him which is hard because by the time they would responde to my call, the individual would be done playing his music.

It is written in the paper work we all signed when we moved in about the loud noise. Also people do the fireworks also which is not allowed because of the noise level. My ears are sensitive to noise and my cats are petrafied of the noise so much that they hide under the bed and are shaking.
I wish people would have respect for others. I do not wish to listen to their music. It looks like those people are lacking attention and they have to attract attention that way.
What will it take for whoever to make it illegal everywhere especially living in a HOA where we pay. Who do I turn to to make it illegal or for the HOA to do their job instead of accumulating the money for them to do anything about it.

I can sympathize with you, I am bombarded by boom cars and souped up cars where I live and nothing s done about it. I've brought it up at neighborhood meetings, I've called my city council member many times to no avail. People are afraid to complain and the city has no intention of giving tickets out, even though they could bring in much needed revenue. One suggestion i have is to send out maybe ten letters to your closest neighbors. It can be anonymous and signed by a concerned neighbor. You could bring up the subject of the disturbance and request that your neighbors complain to the HOA. If it's just one or two members they may not listen but if it's six or seven that might make them give this matter some attention. Good luck with this.
Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:39 pm
My wife and I sympathize with all of you , we can relate to just about all that was said, we invite you to join a new online support group for people who are highly sensitive i please join so that we can find other like us and create the support we all need! The group is located on Ning Network. http://highlysensitive.ning.com
Thu May 13, 2010 3:49 pm
I have also suffered from this type of problem. I call it "Sub-Base Harassment". This type of noise noise is not just a case of a TV or radio being played too loudly. It is produced by sub-woofer audio equipment. This equipment is designed to make sound travel far in cinemas, clubs theatres and public events. But used by individuals in residential areas is a clear misuse and inevitably leads to sound nuisance. Simply `turning the volume down' is no solution because sub-base vibration still travels through the walls even at low volume. And at low volume the results are if anything worse; rumbling like thunder, irregular but constant and has an effect much like tinnitus, impossible to ignore and impossible to concentrate on, or enjoy, anything else. I have suffered from a nearby resident using this equipment for some time; occasionally it stops for several weeks before building up again, presumably someone else has also complained and after offender has been warned (and deems sufficient time has passed for us to forget about it) gradually begins again for longer and longer periods in the day till we complain again. I would like to get it stopped for good. So I have begun taking audio recordings in my flat and intend to build up an evidence dossier. Hopefully, with such evidence it will not just be a matter of one person's word against another and people can objectively hear just how strong the sub-base sounds are.
Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:48 am
I've been a "heavy bass" user for many years now, I must say I agree that something needs to be done to people who play their music at night and in rural areas. But that is where I draw the line, I remain respectful of everyone at all times because I also do not enjoy listening to someones music when I'm trying to sleep. If I listen to my stereo loud it is not for long periods, and it is done on the interstate. I will not play it at a volume uncomfortable for others during the evening, night, or morning, and especially in a rural area.

I wanted to voice my concern here because while I understand where all of you are coming from, to each his own, and there are still responsible people controlling the volume knob, while you cannot control what other people do you can only live with it.
Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:24 pm
duran wrote:
I've been a "heavy bass" user for many years now, I must say I agree that something needs to be done to people who play their music at night and in rural areas. But that is where I draw the line, I remain respectful of everyone at all times because I also do not enjoy listening to someones music when I'm trying to sleep. If I listen to my stereo loud it is not for long periods, and it is done on the interstate. I will not play it at a volume uncomfortable for others during the evening, night, or morning, and especially in a rural area.

I wanted to voice my concern here because while I understand where all of you are coming from, to each his own, and there are still responsible people controlling the volume knob, while you cannot control what other people do you can only live with it.

Get off your high horse, Duran, you're no better than the next bass user. If you knew anything about respect you wouldn't have bought the stereo upgrade.