9-11 attack and noise

Problems & Solutions, Community Activism, News Reports, Published Articles, Research Studies, Academia.
Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:37 am
9-11 as a very sad day. I don't want to take anything away from that.

BUT: do you know what I will remember most about that event? How quiet it was on the planet. All airplanes were grounded. I was in love with how quiet it was outside due to no airplanes and possibly also due to people being inside glued to their TVs. The funny thing is, I don't even live near any airports and I noticed how quiet it was almost instantly outside. Did anyone else notice this during that event?
Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:07 pm
I didn't as I was living on a farm in a very rural area in Europe. I still have the place and will hopefully go back there, as soon as possible. Every time I am there, or in any other really quiet place for that matter, I notice that I can hear "quiet". It sounds strange, but really quiet (just experienced last weekend in the high Sierra Nevada) is audible. It's not an absence of noise, it's a presence of quiet. Fresh snow sounds similar as it strongly dampens all reflections of sound and thereby calms everything down. Since obviously this is weird, quiet is really just absence of sound, it just shows how we are already so used to constant noise bombardment that in its absence, strange things happen. Quiet should be normal. Then we can start to enjoy actual sounds. Music only exists when tones stand out against an otherwise quiet background.
Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:43 pm
I was working that day, and everyone was in denial of what was happening and just how imporant this all was. My boss never closed the place down, people just went on with business as usual in SW Florida where I was. I was the only one who I knew of who was shocked about what was happening.
II miss the days of quiet snow. We dont get that here in Florida.