Another Night in Hell

Problems & Solutions, Community Activism, News Reports, Published Articles, Research Studies, Academia.
Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:20 am
The lack of freedom I think of in other countries is tied to high taxes. Don't really feel like getting into it, but there are high taxes in other countries and more laws. Australia is a great example and they still are one of the most wasteful consumer countries. It's just really hard to balance that level of freedom. It's all the idiots abusing their freedoms that make us create the laws and taxes which we have already gone over.
Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:11 am
Oh, so your not from the US. I should have known. Here you are writing intelligent things
instead of just sitting there watching sports and getting drunk all night. Please tell me, what other
countries are a better place to move to? I thought the rest of the world was just as bad or worse. If I ever need to move, I want to find a country with smarter people, less pollution, and no boom car morons. China is out. A place like China is the complete opposite of what I am interested in.
Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:51 am
I am not sure it has a lot to do with countries. At least I hope so. As I said, I really like it here in general, always have.

On taxes: It really depends on what taxes are used for. Using taxes to properly fund and run schools and general education I find useful and would gladly pay more. In general, there are tasks which -in a system with the social contract in place, a system which depends on cooperation between all members- can only be done by society (aka the state or the government) as that's the only way to keep private interests out of it. For those tasks, taxes are necessary and as long as they are collected in a fair (very debatable what that means) way, I don't object - even to much higher taxes. In fact, I'd prefer higher taxes fixing the disastrous streets for example.
Using taxes to bail out banks after they made trillions and eventually fucked up practically all of economy? No, thank You, not from my taxes. Wars? No, thank you.

I think the overall scheme is not so much country related as it is more culture or maybe time related: We (the "western culture") have come so far since the industrial revolution and after a long time of prosperity are now facing a few disconcerting facts. Our future depends on how we deal with that. One of the fundamental facts is that we are basing our entire existence on growth, but that is (obviously) unsustainable. Unfortunately, instead of education, research and jointly trying to find solutions, we posture, grand-stand, make a lot of noise and each try to get as much out of it as we can. That makes us blind for what we really need to work on: Pressing environmental issues, growing social problems (noise from frustrated losers could be viewed as a symptom of that) and tumbling educational standards.
Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:57 am
ludovico, I sent you a private message.