How do I locate source of heavy bass?

Problems & Solutions, Community Activism, News Reports, Published Articles, Research Studies, Academia.
Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:42 am
I live in north-central Florida and have been assaulted by someone's heavy bass for almost three weeks. I am losing sleep, not able to eat, lost weight, suffered losses at school and work, and am slowly losing my mind. I have walked the streets of my entire neighborhood without finding the source. Is there any way to locate the source? Is there a company that can do it for me? PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:14 am
Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:11 pm
I know the feeling about bass. I while back i had the same thing. Usually it was the neigbbor and would know but this one night at 1:30 am It was driving me crazy. I walked around my neighborhood and found nothing. I could only hear it when at my computer or laying down in my bed. Finally i got an idea and walked a quarter mile towards a nearby bar and guess what? As soon as i came to the top of the hill about half way there boom boom..booom there it was..there also happen to be some cops arresting 3 guys at the top of the hill. I says to the cop "could you guys ask the bar to turn down the bass when they get done with them dudes. I was immediately informed the bar had a noise perment. I then said but sir is the permit so people can here it a half mile away and not be able to sleep? I ask his name and proceeded to walk home. I have not heard it since! Yay.

Now for part 2. My neighbor has been bothering me for 2 years. I have made over 8 calls to the police and nothing happens. He will sit in his house and not answer the door. So one day i see him and the nosie agoing walked by and let out a " turn the bass down..Eddy" and he came up to me and started swing his fist at me. I am disabled and have a bad neck from a job injury. He forced me onto a neighboros fence. All the while I am shouting turn down your bass eddy. He pulls out a cell phone and dials the police. He then records me with the video in it and eventually walks away from me. I am still shouting for him to turn down his bass. The police show up and I explained i am disabled and how the police will not do anything about his bass. The manager of the park comes over and says to the office that he wants me to be arrested for disturbing the police.(I had recently confronted the management for over charging me 19k gallons of water and all the neighbors found they too had been ripped off) They police again refused to ticket him and nearly arrested me. But to my delight..it has been quiet for 5 weeks!!!!!
Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:17 am
akcaponte,

I know this is an older post, but hope someone out there has an answer to your question!

I have a "neighbor" that plays bass all night long. I hear it strongly in my house - but if I walk outside - I cannot hear it as well. When I walk closer to the house, the sound of the bass actually becomes softer, then louder again as I walk further away from the opposite side. I finally knocked on the door and asked them to turn it down. They did (that night only). That was how I found the sound.

At any rate, I need proof that the bass is coming from their house. Any suggestions? And does anyone know why I can hear it so clearly while inside the house with doors and windows shut - but cannot hear it as well while outside?
Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:15 pm
While not an expert, I do know that low frequency sounds such as bass do travel further and stronger than higher frequency sounds. They travel through solids more easily than through air. Some solids are great sound conductors, wood being one of them.
Sound waves travel along the ground then up through your walls, floors, table legs, bed posts etc. The lower the frequency, the farther the sound waves can travel. Think old western movies, the guide jumps off his horse and puts his ear to the ground to locate how far behind their pursuers are. That's not Hollywood, it's true. Because of how far bass sounds can travel, this does make it much more difficult to locate the source and it could be coming from farther away than you think. Sometimes, if it's close enough, you can hear the source immediately. Often, because the noise and criminal activity go hand-in-hand, the police are afraid to confront the offenders. Noise is the number one complaint made to law enforcement in this country and yet the least enforced. Go figure. To answer the question of how to locate the source, a parabolic mike seems like a good answer. If you can afford to invest in the electronics, I say go for it. As for confronting the noise-makers, good luck with that, do not confront by yourself.
Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:54 am
Well, if noise travels through the ground like you say, then perhaps this undeground bomb shelter idea is a bad idea. Maybe we would be wasting out time...
Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:22 pm
I'm afraid that is how acoustics work. I can't say how deeply into the ground the sound travels, it may be a matter of a few feet, I just don't know. I think the idea just requires more research. There are materials that can help and maybe the depth of the shelter would have a big impact. I suspect the underground government facilities would have to be soundproof while they conduct experiments and such.
I would be interested in such a venture, if it were cost effective and a location could be found. Maybe an abandoned shelter already exists somewhere. Maybe there are plans online that could be implemented. It may not be the ideal solution, but it is a possibilty to me.
As for locating the source of heavy bass, someone recently told me that it's usually (not always) the people who have a "look at me" attitude.
The need for attention can be in the way they dress or soup up their cars or the way they decorate their houses/yards. It's not a judgement, people can look any way they want or decorate their homes any way they want. But making a lot of noise is a way to get attention. It's harmful to themselves and everyone around them. So many better ways to get attention than bombarding our airwaves with noise.
Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:51 am
"The need for attention can be in the way they dress or soup up their cars "

Yes, I wrote a very special article for this forum and posted it here on this very subject. Its called "identifying bass zombies". When you have the time scroll down and give it a read. You will find it very informative.

"So many better ways to get attention than bombarding our airwaves with noise."

I couldnt agree more. Thats the wisest statement Ive read in a long, long time. Too bad its not taught in our pathetic, useless public school system which is turning out hoards of morons each year.
Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:16 pm
I spent almost 20 years working in the public school system. I have found that teachers and principals often have their hands tied by unions, horribly ignorant parents, and most of all politics. Look at all the crap food/sugar advertising that's allowed in schools. The cafeterias, the vending machines even advertising in their text books. That's big business having too much political power and affecting our educational system. That is only one of many issues in the schools. Teaching students to be non-competitive is a problem, real life is not like that. Giving them individual, positive attention will give them that attention they seek in other, negative ways. Teaching them their rights but not responsibilities is a huge problem. Yes, they should learn about their rights but only in conjunction with responsibilties. "With great power comes great responsibility." I love that.
We live in a populated society, societies can only function if everyone respects rights and responsibilites together.
I taught yoga in an after school program and taught the benefits of peace and the benefits of quiet. My students started behaving better during the school day and started improving in their school work. They started asking questions about health, nutriton and better life habits. Teaching yoga in the prisons has been proven to reduce prison violence and recidivism. Communities that have a high number of practicing yogis have a small, but noticeable reduction in overall crime. My point is that yoga is quiet and calming, as well as healthy. It should be used in all of our schools. There is also a program that schools can get involved in, a friend of mine is trying to implement it in her school, that involves teachers teaching calmness. I can't remember the name of the program right now in case anyone is reading this. It can be found online. It only takes a few minutes a day, the program is very inexpensive and the benefits are huge. It has been proven to increase test scores, improve focus and behaviors. Just as better diets can do these things, quiet can do them also. Geez, just imagine if the combination of a great diet and quiet classrooms were widespread! We would be the most intelligent, most advanced, most peaceful country in the world.
I know I'm off-topic here. I can tie it in... schools that allow loud bass music to be played in classrooms. It's distracting, it's the antithesis of calm, it causes heart rates and blood pressure to rise causing poor health and leading to arguments and violence in the classes and outside of classes. It doesn't only affect the classroom it's being played in, it's affecting all of the other classes that are in attendance. SAT manuals say NOT to study with music or television. Our brains cannot function at full capacity with too much stimulus. Anyone who says they can function better with loud noise is just lying or they are trying to further an agenda. Those same people may be able to accomplish some things but could accomplish so much more in the absence of that stimuli. They will also, and I have read this in several sources that I can't quote right now, have a shorter life expectancy. Noise causes health issues. That won't matter to an 18 year old, they think they are invincible. They will regret it later on in life as they begin to suffer the consequences. Studies show that 40 years ago, people started experiencing a hearing loss averaging around age 60 (obviously, that varies on each human experience). Now, it's age 30.
We all need attention from some source at some time. We just need to find more positive ways to get it.
Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:14 pm
The lower the frequency of sound, the less directional and the less locatable it is. That's why subwoofers in stereo systems can be placed almost anywhere, while the tweeters have to be exactly positioned for a good sounding system which allows to locate individual instruments, for example in an orchestra, which is of course the idea of "High Fidelity". To give as good as possible an illusion of being in a concert or hearing a musician perform live in front of you.

Therefore the only way to locate the source of bass-only type noise is to go by what's called gradient. You basically follow a direction of increasing intensity - go to where it is louder. Typically as you get nearer, you will hear extra, higher frequencies which then will give you more hints as the higher they are, the more easy to locate.