Lack of phone etiquette

Problems & Solutions, Community Activism, News Reports, Published Articles, Research Studies, Academia.
Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:10 pm
We live in Florida. Recently, our March guests treated us to a dinner out. Because it was cool and windy, we opted to eat inside. The hostess tried to seat us at the bar, but we asked not to sit there due to the noise, so we were seated at a nearby booth. The kicker was a party of 8 seated next to us. One of the guests was a kid in his 20s who was yakking on his cell phone about an apartment he planned to rent. We were treated to the details of his deposit, drug test, blah blah blah. He was constantly on his feet, walking back and forth next to our table, and standing and even talking loudly next to our waitress as she attempted to take our order. WTH? Someone (management?) should have spoken to him about this behavior. But there didn't appear to be anyone of authority-- other than kids -- in charge. We ourselves finally told him to knock it off, and we got some attitude back. I don't understand why some of today's youth are so clueless. Finally, not one of the "adults" even apologized for him on their way out.
Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:14 pm
We live in a culture where narcissism is considered a positive trait, as evidenced by our celebrity culture.

You were right to tell the kid his behavior was inappropriate. The flack you got back from him and the indifference of his his company speaks to their lack of manners.

When I see someone behaving badly in public, I only need to look at that person directly and frown, it sends a clear message. For those who don't get the message, they never will. There are people who get off being rude, but eventually, it comes back to them when they lose friends, relationships and opportunities.
Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:30 pm
Thank you, digitaldanny. People who are loud and rude in public places make me want to stay home. Besides restaurants, this includes airports and (especially) movie theaters.