Skydiving Airplane Noise

Airplanes, Helicopters, Jet Planes, Drones, Airports, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Civilian, Military.
Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:34 am
Does anyone know how I can enforce Skydiving Ariplanes that seem to have very little muffler systems on? Is there a body that I can go to for help?
Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:53 am
I wish there was a way for citizens to do just that. There really isn't. The Congress has given the FAA total authority in aviation regulatory matters. I have been tying to find noise emission regulations for propeller driven aircraft but have not been successful. There seems to no restrictions whatsoever on most aircraft noise emissions in the Federal Code of Aviation Regulations. Some propeller aircraft don't even have mufflers or very minimal mufflers, much like the illegal straight pipes on some motorcycles. To make things worse, aircraft can fly anywhere the FAA allows them to, and the FAA allows them to fly pretty much anywhere they want so long as they do not get in the way of other air craft operating in controlled airspace or become nuisances to air traffic control. As far as aircraft becoming nuisances to the earthbound public goes, the FAA is not too concerned. The FAA controls the airspace above us and states, cities, and towns are barred by Federal law from controlling that airspace or attempting to enforce any regulation of their own. In other words, we are expected to eat all the noise that aviation showers us on a daily basis.

You could try to complain to the local airport that the sky diving plane operates out of. If the airport is run by the city or county you might complain to them. You could also complain to the FAA Aviation Noise Ombudsman.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/hea ... aft_noise/

You can try, but don't expect a satisfactory response. The FAA has a long history of not being responsive to aviation noise complaints, and they never redirect air traffic away from the airspace of citizens. As far as they are concerned, that airspace is theirs to do with as they please, and they are busy filling it with as much air traffic as they can, and is planning on continuing to do that. I wish I could give a more optimistic view than this, but this is how it is, and this is how it will be unless Congress takes some of that power away from the FAA and the aviation interests. You might submit your concerns to your Representative. One way you can protest this unacceptable monopoly of your air space is to oppose any expansion of the aviation infrastructure, such as new air ports and expansion of run ways. Some citizen groups have had some success in doing that and it really annoys the heck out of the FAA and their friends. That's about the only way you can whack them back for robbing you of the peaceful enjoyment of you home.