Motorcycles

Motorcycles with Straight Pipes, Boom Cars, Car Alarms, Semi Trucks with Engine Brakes, Off-Road Vehicles, Back-Up Alarms, Keyless Entry Sounds, Artificial Vehicle Sounds, Rumbler Sirens.
141 posts
Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:54 pm
I grew up in some rather unfortunate neighborhoods so I know how difficult it can be to overcome genuinely earned stereotype perceptions. Thirty and forty years later I still reach toward a concealed weapon if I see a black man in anything but a business suit. I can't help it. The best I can do is avoid carrying out actual bigotry.

And so it goes with the Hollywood imagery of biker mayhem. And sure, it doesn't help that you have real-life biker gangs going around and reinforcing the stereotype. We also have a lopsided number of people of color in our legal system, but does that make it right to conclude that most minorities are criminally inclined? If you came up with any response besides "no" then you are in dire need of help.

Assumptions are an evil thing. Refuse to go to an establishment occupied by loud bikers? OK, if the bikes are parked how can you be certain the bikes are loud? I'm an enthusiast and at a distance I can't tell if a bike will be loud, and in some cases can't even discern if it's a H-D or some Japanese knock-off until I'm within five feet. And if you haven't first looked inside the establishment, how can you assume what kind of people are in there? It could be grizzly meth dealers planning their next assassination, or it could be someone's loving grandmas and grandpas out to enjoy a meal and some comraderie on a lovely fall day. The black leather jackets don't mean a thing. I wear one because it is practical. Leather is the most durable exterior layer and black won't show the bugs and road grime. You can't know a person until you have at least faced them, if not spoken to them.

I've been to bikers' rights conventions (and by the way, WOW) and even I could not tell the difference between the real outlaws and the wannabes without some help from folks in the know.

I can just as easily point to multiple attempted muggings as proof that all black people are criminals as you could point to the disregard and retribution you have experienced by noisemakers who happen to be drug dealers. It does not make either of us right. Until we get past our stereotyping and ridiculous inventions and focus on the actual crimes, none of us will get anywhere.

Another thought before I go:

We have federal noise laws which govern motorcycle production and we have local laws which further govern the noise produced by the motorcycles owned by the consumers. The lines have to be, and were, drawn at some compromise point. Much like speed limits. If the road says 45 MPH and someone is going 48 MPH, most police will ignore it. It isn't an egregious violation, it does not represent a substantial increase in risk (~4' increase in stopping distance and 1'-2' for travel during reaction time) and most folks wouldn't know the difference unless they were looking at a radar gun. There will be people who say that road should be posted at 35 MPH and others who say it was engineered for at least 55 MPH during an era vehicles which did not handle or brake as well.

And so it goes with motor vehicle noise. The feds limit current street motorcycles to 80 dB at 50 feet and various locales adopt some sort of equivalent regulation, or at least prohibitions against tampering to increase the noise. There are those who will say it should be lower, others who will say it should be higher, and most folks wouldn't know without immediate comparison if one vehicle was 80 dB @ 50' or another was 83 dB. Some will complain that the noise from H-D and similar V-twin motorcycles is more annoying than the same amount of noise from a flat six or transverse four, but the law does not allow you to differentiate and I don't see that changing. It treads too closely to freedom of expression. Yeah, I know. Nobody said you have to like the constitution.

The point of all this I suppose is that rather than nit-picking on each other's preferences and conjuring up all sorts of allegations to prove our points, is that we should be focusing on the clear and conspicuous offenders. Lord knows they're easy enough to identify and there are enough of them to make a noticable difference. Just because something is "low hanging fruit" doesn't mean it's not worthwhile. In the case of noise I think it's more worthwhile than anything else. If and when that gets accomplished, then think about tightening the noose a little. Get your priorities in order and give up the silly rhetoric, especially if you are thinking of using it with your elected officials. It could mean the difference between getting the bum rush and getting results.
Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm
[/quote]"I grew up in some rather unfortunate neighborhoods so I know how difficult it can be to overcome genuinely earned stereotype perceptions. Thirty and forty years later I still reach toward a concealed weapon if I see a black man in anything but a business suit. I can't help it. The best I can do is avoid carrying out actual bigotry."

We are not on the same wavelength, that's obvious. We apologize for any misunderstanding that anyone may have misconstrued and/or statements perceived as "Bigotry", as we have been mis-labeled, ie, a derogatory term. I was fortunately brought up in a multicultural school and neighborhood with many ethnic people that were my friends, some were openly gay and they too were accepted. Also, I am Bi-Racial, not what you might expect. One very important aspect of life people should remember is in all races of people, there are good people and bad people in almost every race. As for carrying a weapon, that's up to the individual, I hate guns myself, even though an AK 47 was pointed at my family and myself two months after we moved here, guessing hate group!
All the African Americans that we know are good friends of ours, they send their kids to college and the parents themselves are intelligent. We know African Americans that live further down our road they don't bother anyone, they are peaceful human beings. The problem has been with Caucasion males, everytime a criminal act is committed, they are the only ones committing them towards us. There are witnesses to prove this.

"lopsided number of people of color in our legal system."
We haven't noticed, we don't see color, we associate the individual with their attitude and how they treat others.

"Assumptions are an evil thing. Refuse to go to an establishment occupied by loud bikers?
No, Not really, believe you already know this answer.

"The black leather jackets don't mean a thing."
Add a gang logo, means a lot!

"ridiculous inventions and focus on the actual crimes"
Drug and gun crime are rampant all across Loisiana.

"think about tightening the noose a little."
Not a very good choice of words, ADL, Hatewatch, NAACP, and SPLC might perceive that "statement" as a possible threat!

EZDUZIT wrote:
Don't accuse me of riding a loud bike

No one has accused you of anything? Many others including ourselves are sick of hearing loud vehicles of any kind especially when these same loud vehicles slow down and are intentionally revved up in front of our home to deafen us and cause us unnecessary stress.

We joined this excellent anti-loud noise website because we needed help to stop or at least curb the loud noise that has increased in our area over the years.
Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:04 am
Remain Silent wrote:
We are not on the same wavelength, that's obvious.

And it appears we may end up remaining that way.

Me: "Assumptions are an evil thing. Refuse to go to an establishment occupied by loud bikers?
You: "No, Not really, believe you already know this answer."

The answer to what? You said you don't go to places with loud bikers and I wondered how you could know. Give me the answer and then I'll know it.

You: "Add a gang logo, means a lot!"

If you can differentiate a club logo from a gang logo or even differentiate among the various patches on a "rocker", I'll let you have that one. The question is, can you and how? I know that for the most part I can't, so pardon my doubt. Even the 81 stuff isn't as clear-cut as you might think.

Me: "[...then] think about tightening the noose a little."
You: "Not a very good choice of words, ADL, Hatewatch, NAACP, and SPLC might perceive that "statement" as a possible threat!"

Inventions. The KKK, the South and even the USA by no means ever had monopolies on hanging, and nobody without a prescription for a lithium drip would ever be ruffled by the metaphor. Let's skip the silliness and stick to noise and noise maker issues, shall we?

Brad
Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:13 am
You know what John Rambo, I think that once the motorcycles go electric, we should start a campaign against noisy air conditioners. Most of them sound like shaking a tin can with ball bearings and nails inside. I'm going to make it my mission. Make the repairman responsible. :shock: Then we could say that the issue is really heating up! :lol:
Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:03 am
EZDUZIT wrote:
You know what John Rambo, I think that once the motorcycles go electric, we should start a campaign against noisy air conditioners. Most of them sound like shaking a tin can with ball bearings and nails inside. I'm going to make it my mission. Make the repairman responsible. :shock: Then we could say that the issue is really heating up! :lol:

I hope that my city steps up enforcement of air conditioners and requires owners to upgrade them to quieter models.

Is that good enough for you?
Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:34 pm
barkingdogatlas wrote:
EZDUZIT wrote:

I hope that my city steps up enforcement of air conditioners and requires owners to upgrade them to quieter models.

Is that good enough for you?

No! Hoping something will happen is a worthless waste of time and energy.
You have to make it happen if you want it. (Or anything else for that matter.)
Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:45 am
I was trying to be supportive.
Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:30 am
barkingdogatlas wrote:
I was trying to be supportive.

BD, I understand. Not chewing on you. Just a bit of personal philosophy. When I was in college, my dept head actually warned a Dean to watch what she said to me, or I would use it against her! LOL There is no reason to be afraid to take on the giants. I forced a national professional organization to change their procedures, because they tried to ..uh.. take advantage of me. (Had to clean that up.) LOL If you are right then you are right!
Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 am
I would also recommend that you and your neighbours should hire a lawyer. This is a serious issue which is affecting the quality of your daily life. There has to be a solution.
Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:00 pm
These motorcycles are awful. And its not just the chopper / Harley kind either. The jap / Kawasaki kind is just as annoying. my neighbor has one and it apparently has no muffler. I live on a large property and I can still hear it inside my house! Today he started the dang thing at 5:23 in the morning and had that thing idling for 7 minutes before taking off with it, where it can be heard for a couple of miles away! The idling is strange too. The idle pitch goes up and down and is super annoying. Too bad we don't have a government that wants to protect people from this kind of crap. Instead they protect the criminals! Im SICK OF IT!!!!!
141 posts