Motorcycles

Motorcycles with Straight Pipes, Boom Cars, Car Alarms, Semi Trucks with Engine Brakes, Off-Road Vehicles, Back-Up Alarms, Keyless Entry Sounds, Artificial Vehicle Sounds, Rumbler Sirens.
141 posts
Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:09 am
I've been doing a lot of reading. I just finished the Hurt Report and its more current European cousin, the MAIDS study. Both are easily available on the Internet. The latter you must register to read but that only takes a minute.

Did you know that Hurt never made any conclusions about modified exhaust systems? The MAIDS study didn't even touch the subject. Basically it's a classic "Mexican standoff". No formal research supporting the LPSL argument, and no formal research debunking it either.

It turns out that bright clothing is a good idea. But with an only 7.5% improvement [per Hurt] in visibility and even looser correlations between visibility and collision rates with other vehicles, it's a far cry from being a magic solution. You also have to watch Hurt's words carefully. He tells of conspicuity being responsible for significant differences in accident involvement but 7.5% is really closer to 3% at best when you figure in causation, and that doesn't impress me much. We'll file this in the "every little bit counts" folder.

In half of all motorcycle accidents, motorists violated the motorcyclists' right of way. That's 2/3 of all motorcycle accidents involving collisions with other vehicles. Big, big number there.

Humans' natural blind spots are highly over-represented in cases involving visibility.

The MAIDS study indicates that motorcyclists' awareness levels in traffic are superior to other motorists. Sadly, rider error continues to be significantly represented.

Oh, I almost forgot horns. The Hurt report found motorcycles' horns to be utterly useless! The MAIDS report found very few riders even attempting to use their horns but bear in mind that the report only depicts collisions, not collisions avoided.

Here are a few of my thoughts:

We need to get away from the LPSL arguments. The achieve nothing and will never achieve anything. There is no formal proof that the argument is valid or invalid and there is evidence - some logical and some admittedly empirical and/or anecdotal - that it could be valid. Just because you don't like an opinion, does not make that opinion wrong. The matter boils down to the fact that the noise from loud pipes is an unreasonable response to the threats riders perceive.

Motorcyclists need to seek aftermarket horns as a life-saving accessory, not aftermarket exhausts. Then they need to learn how and when to use them. Better yet, apply more pressure to OEMs to supply motorcycles with more effective horns. Enthusiast magazines used to complain about horns constantly. They haven't improved that much since then.

Telling the LPSL guys to wear brighter clothing is a non-starter. It's clearly not that helpful and few people are willing to endure the laundering requirements (due to road grime, bug splat, etc.) that will arise from giving up the dark leather.

Training, training, training. That goes for motorists and motorcyclists alike.

And I would like to bring a maelstrom of law enforcement mayhem down upon the folks who leave handicap tags hanging from their rear view mirrors. It literally doubles their one o'clock blind spots and causes grave danger to motorcyclists, scooterists, bicyclists and pedestrians. Same goes for the folks sticking their GPS receivers and XM radio units in their windshields directly in their lines of sight.

This is all my "mitigate the threats; mitigate the noise" strategy, as well as it is an effort to educate everyone so that hopefully, they might get along a little better. Of course it won't do much about the narcissists who simply like the sound of their motors!
Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:05 pm
Great. Just what we need: Motorcyclists driving around and honking at everyone.
Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:31 pm
barkingdogatlas wrote:
Great. Just what we need: Motorcyclists driving around and honking at everyone.

You guys are the ones telling us to use our horns, some of you even tell us to get nice loud aftermarket horns. Then as soon as you are done with loud exhaust, you'll come after our loud horns.....you're not the first anti noise activists I have to deal with. You all think the same way. You like to complain, that's what you do!
Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:56 pm
Handicap tag. True, some just can't be bothered to remove the handicap tag, when they are driving. If the tags were hung horizontally behind the mirror, instead of vertically, this would not be as much of a problem. I would imagine that Police rely on a tag that they can see when driving behind the vehicle in a lot. Maybe a second tag or sticker in the rear window on the far left side bottom corner where visibility would not be compromised.
About horns. I don't understand the pathetic horns that are stock. How much more could it cost to supply a good horn? I have replaced all mine with 115 db car horns. Horns are considered a absolute minimum measure for safety. They are supposed to be loud. Most of the time it's too late for a horn and I'm taking evasive action.
On Visibility Admittedly I normally wear a black leather jacket. I have a denim cut-off with a reflective patch on the back, that I wear after dark. (http://www.nightfirepatches.com/) I replaced my black helmet with a silver one. Maybe it helps. MSF says it does. I'm starting to see a additional run / brake light on the top edge of sissy bars.
Traffic checkpoints. The vehicles with excessively loud exhausts can be heard coming. It's really not difficult. Leave the rest of us alone. There is no need to stop every bike that comes along unless you are "fishing".
Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:28 pm
EZDUZIT wrote:
Traffic checkpoints. The vehicles with excessively loud exhausts can be heard coming. It's really not difficult. Leave the rest of us alone. There is no need to stop every bike that comes along unless you are "fishing".

That's all we want, but the motorcycle lobby insists that it's impossible for a police officer to judge the loudness of a motorcycle. Didn't you read the thread?
Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:29 pm
If you are going to tag for noise, at least don't bother everybody else. The same rules should apply to all vehicles, not just some, while others get a pass. Only pull over only those vehicles suspected of excesses and use a meter to confirm the suspicion. (Not somebody's opinion.) I can tell if something is loud, but how loud I can't say. It's similar with speeders. In my state, the officer is expected to estimate a vehicles speed and the radar is used to prove his estimate. First you should have Cause.........
Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:22 am
@LARRY _ AGAIN - And this other slowpoke who says it's more that a nuisance, If it ruins your hearing then you should have worn earplugs. What about people that work underwater with welders? should those jobs be removed, because it's dangerous because you might get shocked? or guys that work with jackhammers all day? noise is noise, and i thank god living in south texas makes me happy, people don't always bi*** about noise this noise that. Granted, SOME people go extreme with pipes. And that other guy who .. seems to think the track by his house is a pain, then move? what about all the people that live near an airport? or the ones that live by a power plant? OR the ones who live by train tracks? i live by traintracks, and it's MORE than annoying, but we have to live with it, that's what being grown up is :) living with things we don't like and moving on. /end rant
Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:05 pm
bibs wrote:
@LARRY _ AGAIN - And this other slowpoke who says it's more that a nuisance, If it ruins your hearing then you should have worn earplugs. What about people that work underwater with welders? should those jobs be removed, because it's dangerous because you might get shocked? or guys that work with jackhammers all day? noise is noise, and i thank god living in south texas makes me happy, people don't always bi*** about noise this noise that. Granted, SOME people go extreme with pipes. And that other guy who .. seems to think the track by his house is a pain, then move? what about all the people that live near an airport? or the ones that live by a power plant? OR the ones who live by train tracks? i live by traintracks, and it's MORE than annoying, but we have to live with it, that's what being grown up is :) living with things we don't like and moving on. /end rant
You just don't get it, do you, BIBs? Those guys that are working with noisy tools have a restricted but legal right to use them. Riding around on your bike making unbelievable amounts of noise is not a job. (I know that some motorcycle nut is going to pop in and point out that the police ride motorcycles.)
Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:08 am
In Louisiana we unfortunately are forced to put up with straight pipe motorcycles, straight pipe pick-up trucks, straight pipe tractor trailer trucks(Jacob braking)straight pipe stacks;(rotted mufflers by placing flashilght batteries in their exhausts), loud reverbating boom cars, these vehicles travel at all hours of the day back and forth, throttling their engines as loud as they will rev to the point of almost destroying their engine. They rev their engine all the way down the highway on every curve, not one law enforcement officer in sight. These above vehicles can be heard from up to three miles away, giving us plenty of time to either corver our ears or go into our home to avoid the domestic noise terrorists. We abide by the laws and replace the mufflers on our vehicles to remain as quiet as possible, loud motorcyclists should abide by the vehicle laws as well or get a ticket.

We don't care how much loud bikers say,"we have factory exhausts and they are quiet", All modified exhausts break the law, get a ticket. For any peaceful human being, those stock exhaust on the V twins are too loud, loud enough to cause a reverbating loud echo and loud enough for the v twin to disrupt any peaceful persons concentration, stock exhausts are too loud they make us sick to our stomach to hear any loud vehicle including loud motorcycles modified or not! The Honda Goldwing is tops, even standing next to a Honda Goldwing, one can barely hear the subtle idle. Only allow quiet motorcycles such as the Honda Goldwing on the roads, just think how peaceful life would be? And wild rabbits wouldn't be frightened by any noise. Wild rabbits are known to actually jump across the loud motorcycles handlebars, seat, and/or gas tank because the wild rabbits are so frightened by the loud noise from the loud motorcycles. Sad how peaceful wildlife cannot live in peace either because of loud mufflerless motorcycles. Just happy that we don't support loud motorcycles and/or any other loud vehicle.
Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:17 pm
Thanks for all of that info. I'm going to stay away from Louisiana, except maybe for Jazz fest.
141 posts