Motorcycles

Motorcycles with Straight Pipes, Boom Cars, Car Alarms, Semi Trucks with Engine Brakes, Off-Road Vehicles, Back-Up Alarms, Keyless Entry Sounds, Artificial Vehicle Sounds, Rumbler Sirens.
141 posts
Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:07 pm
Thank you Brad for that well worded post, this is exactly what many (not all!) of the "loud pipers" (myself included) have been saying, but they don't want to listen to that. Think about it. Motorcycles make up only about 3% of the the traffic on the road. Going after "distracted drivers" as a means to quiet us down will mean trading a 3% resistance for a MUCH larger one! They choose to fight us because we are a smaller group and they "think" we are all disrespected in the community. They fail to realize that many of the people they respect on a day to day basis eg: doctors, lawyers, dentists, even the teacher teaching their 7 or 8 year old just may be a "loud biker" as well!
Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:18 pm
Harry,

All that you say really highlights the fact that you don't have much understanding of the problem or why people start fighting back against loud motorcycles. It is amazing that 3% of the traffic / motorcycles causes upwards of 80% of the highly intrusive noise pollution in many areas like mine. I don't give a crap who is on the loud motorcycle, often it is a police officer. Your theory of loudness making you more obvious to distracted drivers has been debunked over and over, for example by motorcycle instructors.

In winter we hear no traffic noise in our home. As soon as the weather warms the loud motorcycles emerge just like flies to poop, and the inside of our home sounds like there is a nearby racetrack almost exclusively due to loud motorcycles (can't hear legal ones). We are over 200 ft. from the road, many homes are much closer - they have their young children woken up all of the time, don't invite people over anymore, and of course there are the many studies which point to the long term health effects of this noise and of course the effects on property values. On a weekend day there can be well over 100 of these motorcycle idiots blasting by, every couple of minutes. I've been blasted by motorcycle idiots walking my dog who tried to run away, watched as parents with infants get blasted in the crosswalk (children's hearing is very susceptible to damage), watched my grandmother desperately try to turn down her hearing aid as a loud motorcycle blasted by. We have idiot riders blast by starting at 5am on weekdays and of course home from the bars late at night - no one leaves there windows open not that it matters since the noise can be heard in any part of our homes including the basement.

Your reasoning is so incredibly shallow and your thinking is purely incorrect, please do some research and think a little harder especially about the numerous people who's lives you intrude on each time you ride your illegal motorcycle. And, you act as if you MUST ride a motorcycle which is of course is BS. It is a choice you make and if you can't accept your responsibility to operate a street legal motor vehicle and the obvious risks of motorcycling then probably it's time for you to reconsider your choice.

Re: Motorcycles
by Harry Johnson » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:07 pm

Thank you Brad for that well worded post, this is exactly what many (not all!) of the "loud pipers" (myself included) have been saying, but they don't want to listen to that. Think about it. Motorcycles make up only about 3% of the the traffic on the road. Going after "distracted drivers" as a means to quiet us down will mean trading a 3% resistance for a MUCH larger one! They choose to fight us because we are a smaller group and they "think" we are all disrespected in the community. They fail to realize that many of the people they respect on a day to day basis eg: doctors, lawyers, dentists, even the teacher teaching their 7 or 8 year old just may be a "loud biker" as well!
Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:09 pm
citizen10 wrote:
Harry,

All that you say really highlights the fact that you don't have much understanding of the problem or why people start fighting back against loud motorcycles. It is amazing that 3% of the traffic / motorcycles causes upwards of 80% of the highly intrusive noise pollution in many areas like mine. I don't give a crap who is on the loud motorcycle, often it is a police officer. Your theory of loudness making you more obvious to distracted drivers has been debunked over and over, for example by motorcycle instructors.

-->> Todd, I have much more of an understanding than you will ever know. You refer to "my theory" but not once have YOU ever heard me give my theory. You continue to group all bikers in the same category. Your stat (80%) is total BS, it is completely made up to suit your needs!

In winter we hear no traffic noise in our home. As soon as the weather warms the loud motorcycles emerge just like flies to poop, and the inside of our home sounds like there is a nearby racetrack almost exclusively due to loud motorcycles (can't hear legal ones). We are over 200 ft. from the road, many homes are much closer - they have their young children woken up all of the time, don't invite people over anymore, and of course there are the many studies which point to the long term health effects of this noise and of course the effects on property values. On a weekend day there can be well over 100 of these motorcycle idiots blasting by, every couple of minutes. I've been blasted by motorcycle idiots walking my dog who tried to run away, watched as parents with infants get blasted in the crosswalk (children's hearing is very susceptible to damage), watched my grandmother desperately try to turn down her hearing aid as a loud motorcycle blasted by. We have idiot riders blast by starting at 5am on weekdays and of course home from the bars late at night - no one leaves there windows open not that it matters since the noise can be heard in any part of our homes including the basement.

-->> Again, Todd, a story completely embellished to suit your needs. My home is a mere 30 ft from the road. A route used heavily by the biking community from the moment the streets are swept until snow falls. My bedroom window is on the road side of the house. I sleep well all summer long. Yeah, I hear bikes go by, but at only 30 ft they don't cause even a slight resemblance to what you describe at over 200 ft! You go out of your way to make your story more colorful than it really is in an effort to build support for your cause. If people would simply stop reading your stories and start paying attention themselves, they'd see it too!

Your reasoning is so incredibly shallow and your thinking is purely incorrect, please do some research and think a little harder especially about the numerous people who's lives you intrude on each time you ride your illegal motorcycle. And, you act as if you MUST ride a motorcycle which is of course is BS. It is a choice you make and if you can't accept your responsibility to operate a street legal motor vehicle and the obvious risks of motorcycling then probably it's time for you to reconsider your choice.

-->> Again Todd, embellishment but this time all your readers have to do is re-read my post to see that I never said my bike wasn't stock. As a matter of fact, my bike is all stock. You act as if you understand me and my thinking after reading such a small paragraph. You've got some learning to do!

Re: Motorcycles
by Harry Johnson » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:07 pm

Thank you Brad for that well worded post, this is exactly what many (not all!) of the "loud pipers" (myself included) have been saying, but they don't want to listen to that. Think about it. Motorcycles make up only about 3% of the the traffic on the road. Going after "distracted drivers" as a means to quiet us down will mean trading a 3% resistance for a MUCH larger one! They choose to fight us because we are a smaller group and they "think" we are all disrespected in the community. They fail to realize that many of the people they respect on a day to day basis eg: doctors, lawyers, dentists, even the teacher teaching their 7 or 8 year old just may be a "loud biker" as well!
Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:54 pm
This isn't about YOU, Harry, we already know that you like the sound of motorcycles. This is for the people who are bothered by those thunderously loud bikers. You make it sound like they just don't exist, when they are seriously bothering MILLIONS of people.

Why do you think there's a phrase "loud pipes save lives"? It's because SO MANY PEOPLE COMPLAINED ABOUT THEM that the motorcycle lobby had to come up with a slogan that suggests that the loud pipes are a LIFE SAVING DEVICE in order to convince people that their complaints have less validity than the safety of the jerks who want to blast by you with their modified mufflers.

You can argue until you're blue in the face, but it isn't going to stop people from wanting some peace and quiet and not be disturbed by those noisy motorcycles.
Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:26 pm
Can you imagine if you had to live next to this guy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqDBBsFRWrY
Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:17 pm
barkingdogatlas wrote:
This isn't about YOU, Harry, we already know that you like the sound of motorcycles. This is for the people who are bothered by those thunderously loud bikers. You make it sound like they just don't exist, when they are seriously bothering MILLIONS of people.

Why do you think there's a phrase "loud pipes save lives"? It's because SO MANY PEOPLE COMPLAINED ABOUT THEM that the motorcycle lobby had to come up with a slogan that suggests that the loud pipes are a LIFE SAVING DEVICE in order to convince people that their complaints have less validity than the safety of the jerks who want to blast by you with their modified mufflers.

You can argue until you're blue in the face, but it isn't going to stop people from wanting some peace and quiet and not be disturbed by those noisy motorcycles.


It appears that someone else here is getting "blue in the face"....
Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:21 pm
barkingdogatlas wrote:
Can you imagine if you had to live next to this guy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqDBBsFRWrY


Dog.....that's a competition bike AND a Suzuki, both go against the arguments you guys use daily. If you guys want the world to believe that HARLEYS are the problem on the STREET, (as you suggest by your constant use of the South Park episode) then might I suggest you actually use STREET HARLEYS in your "evidence"?
Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:48 pm
Once again, "the Dog" is unable to identify a noisy motorcycle. :o I didn't realize that this issue was strictly related to Harleys?

So, what rights does Suzuki guy have when he rides his 'competition' motorcycle in the street to show off how noisy he can be?
Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:04 pm
barkingdogatlas wrote:
Once again, "the Dog" is unable to identify a noisy motorcycle. :o I didn't realize that this issue was strictly related to Harleys?

So, what rights does Suzuki guy have when he rides his 'competition' motorcycle in the street to show off how noisy he can be?


Well, "dog", I gave you the benefit of the doubt and I watched the video again. I didn't see him ride in the street the first time and, as I am sure you are well aware, he didn't ride in the street the second time either...........as usual, embellishments to meet your needs. If you are going to continue to embellish your stories, do yourself a favor and don't give us contradicting data.

PS: in your other post you said: "And the South Park episode isn't evidence, it's just a funny story that accurately describes the noisy motorcycle problem. The reason it's funny is because it's true."

The South Park episode is about "HARLEY RIDERS" only so your very own words tells me you blame the Harley Riders......
Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:30 pm
barkingdogatlas wrote:
Once again, "the Dog" is unable to identify a noisy motorcycle. :o I didn't realize that this issue was strictly related to Harleys? So, what rights does Suzuki guy have when he rides his 'competition' motorcycle in the street to show off how noisy he can be?


Hi "BDA",

There has been some history of people who suffer from various misconceptions, one of them being that only Harley Davidson motorcycles are too loud and another being that all Harley Davidson motorcycles are too loud. You may be unjustly getting caught up in that.

As for what rights the Suzuki guy has in the street, I'd say zero. Then again I don't see a license plate on that motorcycle, so I'm inclined to say that at the time the video was taken the issue would be between he and his neighbors when he fires that thing up.
141 posts

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 17 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:54 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest