Neighbor's Kid Noise in CA

Noisy Neighbors & Businesses, Barking Dogs, Strategy, Landlords, HOAs, Apartment Managers, Police, Litigation.
Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:23 pm
Quick hello. First post.

Have been dealing with the neighbor's kid who has both a powerful boom stereo and noisy (illegal?) modified exhaust on his 4wd truck (most his friends have same setup and visit regularly). I've lived in this quiet cul de sac oasis for over 4 decades. Never had a problem with noise of kids, wild parrots, mowers, etc... but the low freq of bass blast and exhaust rumble is destroying the quality of life. It's been a daily torture since Nov '08 (when he got the truck and his license). 7mos of polite requests, 7mos of calls to the Sheriff, and recently, one rage-fueled outburst to, "Turn it DOWN, you F*CKING MORON!).

The "crazy" worked best. The police have been as helpful as they can but need to see the infraction. The kid (aka "Cody") makes a min of 5 trips a day M-F between 5pm and midnight, meaning a minimum of 10-15 disturbances lasting 3-6 minutes (he does a "flybay" pass and likes to let his engine warm up).

The parents are largely worthless; with any improvement being incremental (though the boom noise -- from him at least --mostly resolved at present).

I rigged a video cam that is sound activated. A few night's ago (I pulled out my camera when he was running up and down the street after some tune-up work) the dad complained that I was taping his kid and to stop. I told him I was taping the noise disturbance for evidence in a civil suit and/or restraining order. He demanded I stop and to turn off the cam as we spoke. I declined and noted it's a public place and I wanted a record of our conversation. He whined that his kid was only 17 and that he asked me to stop. I continued discussing the situation (I turned cam on me to calm him down but still got all audio).

He left in a huff and I called the local Sheriff's Dept to confirm my right to take action this way. I have been dealing with Sheriffs directly since writing County Supervisor Mike Antonovich. His office contacted head Sheriff Lee Baca to see what could be done. They have been working with me to monitor the situation, but eventually wrote in a follow-up letter that they can only act on what they observe and the nature of the disturbance (hit & run) means I will probably have to take court action.

The neighbor did have the exhaust made quieter at the beginning of this year, and between the time screaming at his kid, and the night I resumed taping, it was 3 weeks of blissful quiet (from his house at least but he was also gone -- off-roading? -- most that time. The previous streak of quiet was only 3 days - also when he was gone).

I told the dad that whether he liked the taping or not, I would continue to build a nuisance case against his kid. The Sheriffs Deputies explained what I was doing was entirely legal as long as it was not a govt building (like the Pentagon per the Patriot Act) and the filming wasn't intrusive (i.e. telephoto lense shooting through windows). Didn't matter the age of his kid. I have a thumb-size spy cam with a 70 degree field of view that turns on at 65db and a pocket digital cam with video function. The picture is pretty clear even at night because of the streetlights and I have a plastic soup spoon behind the mic to help capture the sound. It is hung behind the driver's side window which is cracked a tad for sound; and though it doesn't replicate to full effect of his noise, it sets a baseline and also shows how regular it is (him, his friends, and other jerk neighborhood residents). I'll get a db meter and film it running my chainsaw as a comparison.

These are basic middle class tract homes ($200-300,000) but thses pr*cks (not all kids) with their bass boost and "fart tubes" on their mufflers are the most inconsiderate morons I've ever encountered (and there's no place to escape it as I hear the same in upscale neighborhoods, all along my hour commute to and from work, and in every mini-mall parking lot, and highway facing restaraunt I *used* to frequent -- tip to the CA pols...it's BAD for business! - f*ck the aftermarket accessory lobby!).

My next step is to work on legislation. A recent bill was gutted by the lobby. It had said exhaust mods could not be louder than stock noise levels, but was changed to "not louder than legal limit" which is 95db in CA so effectively no real change.

Anyone know if 95db is absolute max or at idle or what?

Anyway, more detail later, but mainly I wish I had started out taping and being a jerk (NICE barely worked on the boom system problem and not at all on the exhaust). The change was either from a fix-it ticket or fear of tape proof and court action. Both problems at the beginning would have been a slam-dunk as each noise source was INSANELY loud. The dad has all sorts of Bush-Cheney stickers on his vehicles and those fire department helmet stickers too. The other neighbor (who told them about the house for sale 10 years ago) talks about how tight he is with all the local cops and threatens me if I make any retaliation noise (auto alarm has been used to signal kid to turn it down).

I quit caring long ago about any tension, friction, or hard feelings because they've shown themselves to be totally inconsiderate and unreasonable. This is the climate that political inaction has brought about. Add to this they act like block Nazis telling me what I can and can't do because it bugs them (they're part of the Neighborhood Watch fer chrissakes! They only care about the quality of life of their STUFF!). Tough sh*t @ssholes. Move if you don't like it. Buy a house on a busy street if you like motor vehicle noise so goddamned much. I'll call the cops every time I hear sounds I shouldn't have to hear, every time he runs his unlicensed dirt bike on the street, and their dead-end 4th of July parties will no longer have their illegal fireworks unreported (got awfully quiet this last 4th, huh f*ckers? - BWAA-HA-HA-HA!!).

Even when trying to hash this out between us, there was never even the slightest apology for the disturbance. To this point I've lost a year and 1/2 of my life from aggravation, and and spending far more time on resolving the problem than I'd like to spend; but I'm digging in. I'm not going anywhere and I'm not sitting still so they can send out their sonic flatulence to their trapped neighbors like they were farting in an elevator.

Anyone can write me with q's about the camera rig, the law as best I understand in the CA vehicle code; and especially with legislation suggestions (the Sheriffs' were enthusiatic about better laws for them to enforce - I'll definitely check out that part of the forum).
Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:31 pm
Lance Thruster (?)
Sounds like you have some serious psychological issues. I just attended a symposium on that. I don't know if it is acceptable practice in Ca. to involve yourself with a minor that way, but I know here on the East coast we consider it damn near child molesting.
My suggestion is stop running to the cops all the time like a snitch. Instead deal with the parents. If you are afraid to do that, then perhaps you better move, but for god sake, keep away from a minor with your tactics. My bet is that the police are keeping more of an eye on you.
Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:24 am
If you don't mind, I split this discussion from the previous message thread since this is essentially a new topic.

Jon, people who come here to discuss noise problems do so because they are looking for advice and strategies on how to deal with it, not so you can dismiss them as having psychological issues. Noise does impact psychological well-being, but it is caused externally.

The age of the child is a factor in how you approach him. Jon may be correct that dealing with the parents is a better idea. I do recommend working with the police where they can address the neighbor (a 'knock and talk' can help). Regardless of the noise standards in the community, the neighbor's kid is causing a public nuisance and you may have recourse in a civil suit. Litigation is expensive, time consuming and stressful.

Please see:
http://www.noiseoff.org/neighbors.php
http://www.noiseoff.org/legal.php

Regardless of the existing community standards for noise levels, it's about proving how the noise is impacting the use and enjoyment of the property itself, such as sitting in the backyard, opening a window and sleeping at night.
Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 am
Jon wrote:
Lance Thruster (?)
Sounds like you have some serious psychological issues. I just attended a symposium on that. I don't know if it is acceptable practice in Ca. to involve yourself with a minor that way, but I know here on the East coast we consider it damn near child molesting.
My suggestion is stop running to the cops all the time like a snitch. Instead deal with the parents. If you are afraid to do that, then perhaps you better move, but for god sake, keep away from a minor with your tactics. My bet is that the police are keeping more of an eye on you.

Why are you on this message board Jon?
Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:09 pm
Sounds like your using this noise problem as an excuse to videotape a minor. That's pretty sick. If I were this boys father I would not have treated you so nicely when finding out that you were filming my child. You are a disgusting excuse for a member of society. Get a life.
Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:14 am
I am interested in your camera set up. I own a house which has an apartment complex behind it. Everything was peachy until just before the holiday season. The boom boom noise is the worst. My wife is a work horse and the time she gets to rest in important. Being woke up day by day by these young adults with no respect. I have call the sacramento police department with no real results. I would love to get these tenants behind be me on tape. There apartment manager doesn't want to enforce their own lease terms on loud noise. I am to the point were I want my day in court. I am thinking about filing a suit against the apartment complex and the tenant. Any advice on how to rig a camera to come on with the noise issue would be appreciated. \

j_apperson@yahoo.com
Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:29 pm
Noisetroll wrote:
Sounds like your using this noise problem as an excuse to videotape a minor. That's pretty sick. If I were this boys father I would not have treated you so nicely when finding out that you were filming my child. You are a disgusting excuse for a member of society. Get a life.

Despite the lack of compassion and comprehension of the user 'noise troll', I also was thinking that the father would not have treated you so nicely. You're lucky that he didn't just come over to you and grab your camera and throw it on the ground to break it.

That happened to me, once, but the evidence was on MiniDV tape, and not a chip, so I couldn't access it since it is stuck inside the broken chassis of the video camera.

BTW, I wasn't filming a kid, it was just some noisy dogs for my video project, but some resident didn't think I should be doing that. Some people think that they are the art police and can tell you what you can and can't observe with your camera. Screw them.
Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:21 am
Jon wrote:
Lance Thruster (?)

Sure Jon (parents couldn't afford the extra letter on the birth cert, ignorant of much of the alphabet, or just felt a slang word for toilet was the first thing that came to mind when you popped the chute?) Sounds like an awful lot of projection on your part. Didn't know weekly AA meetings (or whatever your personal shortcomings of choice are) are referred to as "symposiums". If someone objected about you letting your dog crap on their lawn would you run and make a complaint to PETA? Yeah, I can see how a lifelong JD considers that requests for the enforcement of statutes on the books constitutes "snitching". The 'rents are about as clueless as the kids. Must run in the family. I'm guessing yours aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer either.

Yeah, California is funny that way. If violator for anything is a minor, they pretty much got to let them go. Can't even give a kid under 18 a traffic ticket (what with child molestation accusations and all that).

Is it hard for you to breathe with your head so far up your tailpipe?
Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:28 am
j_apperson wrote:
I am interested in your camera set up. I own a house which has an apartment complex behind it. Everything was peachy until just before the holiday season. The boom boom noise is the worst. My wife is a work horse and the time she gets to rest in important. Being woke up day by day by these young adults with no respect. I have call the sacramento police department with no real results. I would love to get these tenants behind be me on tape. There apartment manager doesn't want to enforce their own lease terms on loud noise. I am to the point were I want my day in court. I am thinking about filing a suit against the apartment complex and the tenant. Any advice on how to rig a camera to come on with the noise issue would be appreciated. \

j_apperson@yahoo.com

Hi. Sorry about the delay, just saw the comment. I'm still trying to devise the right setup myself but I'll write with what I've used so far and what I was hoping to find when I checked with companies that make systems of that nature.

Sorry about your circumstances. I get a lot of responses such as "is anyone else complaining about it?" I say it is not depended on anyone else's complaint (though it does help in establishing your case). It is still your legal right to be free of such chronic disturbances. Your idea to include the apartment management is a good one and supported by legal precedent.

More later...
Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:38 am
Noisetroll wrote:

Yeah, the dad tried to start something. He almost got arrested for petty theft for coming onto my property and removing a near empty sports drink bottle (value $.05 CRV). Cops knocked on his door at 3am and if he hadn't coughed it up, the detectives would have had to file a report of theft with the DA's office. How'd you like to be convicted for theft of garbage? Your prison name would be "Trollnoisy". If you were this boys father, he sure couldn't be any more defective (it's in the genes ya' know).

He doesn't do stupid sh*t like that anymore ;-)

You can also check out my photos of the neighbor's kids at alt.rec.aholes.thatknowtheaholenamed.Noisetroll.jpg