Press Factory Next to My Home

Noisy Neighbors & Businesses, Barking Dogs, Strategy, Landlords, HOAs, Apartment Managers, Police, Litigation.
Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:41 am
I live in a townhome right next to a press factory. The press factory was built before my home was, and was even there before our development was zoned. Even though the city new the press factory was their, they still zoned our development for high-density residential. The factory uses very powerful presses to fabricat metal parts. They pound from 5:30 AM until around 9:00 PM. This pounding wakes me up in the morning, and wakes up my 4 year old at night. I have talked to the city administrator, but he says their not violating any ordinances. I feel traped in my home, and can't sell because I would lose too much. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can deal with this problem? I don't want the factory to stop, just work more managable hours for the people living next to them. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.
Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:54 pm
Have you tried talking to the owners of the factory? I doubt it will help, but it's worth a try and will give you an idea about what you are facing.

Look into soundproofing measures for your home, like double pane windows, etc.

Did your builder give you any information about the plant next door? My guess is no. The problem is then they try to say you didn't do your "due diligence" before you bought your house. We are having the same problem. Our city is going to build a 1700 seat amphitheater less than 500 feet from my house. It will be pointed directly at my bedroom window and will be used 100-200 days a year. They are saying that we ""should have known" about their plans.

Lawsuits may be in order. Are your other neighbors having problems too?
Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:00 pm
The builders told us we would never even notice the factory when we were looking at buying one. They would only let us look at the model on weekends or after 5:00 (when the factory closed) We didn't understand then, but they were trying to hide the fact that the factory was a press factory.

As for neighbors, many of them have problems with the press too, but no one knows what to do, or who to talk to for help. That is the main reason I posted this, to get help or information on who can help us with the situation.
Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:16 pm
So you're complaining about a factory that existed before your home was built. It sounds like you failed to properly research the property that you bought. Why is it fair to the company that has occupied that space since before YOU lived there to change their process. It sounds like you are at fault in this instance.
Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:12 am
(I am posting a response to something written 5 years ago)
This sounds like a very difficult position to be in. It's not the factories fault because they were there first. It's also hard to blame the home owner because proper research should have been done before zoning allowed construction of the development. The home owner can be blamed for not doing enough research ahead of time as well. One side of the argument however could be that we don't always have that much of a choice where we live within a community because our situation doesn't allow us to afford to live in a nicer and more quiet neighborhood. So the argument saying to just move doesn't always work. We are all part of a community that functions as a whole system and everyone's health should be taken into consideration.

I have learned that where I live they have an ordinance that is setup to determine noise between zoning areas. They calculate dB levels at the property line over a 24 hour period and weight the noise levels accordingly. That might be something to look into to at least see if other regions have implemented ordinances that your current situation breaks and use that as evidence to support your case. The city zoning and planning people are the ones to talk to about this.

The last suggestion is to be careful in approaching people with this issue. Don't blame anyone, but try to open discussion as reasonable people to work toward a compromise and solution that makes everyone happy. Or, they also say that when no one is happy, then we know we have reached an agreement. If the factory owner is a decent person and you treat them with respect, they may offer to help out in building some sort of soundproofing or maybe they could give some money and all the homeowners each contribute money or vote for a special one time assessment fee to raise money for some wall or soundproofing.

Kinger4, please post a follow up on how your situation turned out if you ever make it back to this forum. Thanks.